Friday, July 28, 2006

The Old Songs

I love the old hymns. During the summer our church changes things up a bit. They call it "The Camp Days of Summer", and everything becomes quite a bit more casual. The ministers don't robe up. People are encouraged to dress more casually, and instead of pre-planning what hymns we sing, they let the congregation call out their favorites. We'll sing the first and last verse of 2 or 3 different ones. I get a big kick outta this, mostly because it means we get to sing a lot of old hymns that never seem to find thier way back into the services anymore.

Every so often I'm gonna throw one or two of them up... maybe they'll be one you had forgotten about... or hadn't sung in a long time. Or maybe, like me, you just enjoy the old style.

I am a Pilgrim

I am a pilgrim and a stranger
Traveling through this wearisome land
And I've got a home in that yonder city, good Lord
And it's not (good Lordy it's not) not made by hand

I got a mother, a sister and a brother
Who have gone to that way before
And I am determined to go and see them, good Lord
Over on (good Lordy over on) that distant shore

As I go down to that river Jordan
Just to bathe my weary soul
If I could touch but just the hem of His garment, good Lord
I know (good Lord I know) it would make me whole

Now when I'm dead, laying in my coffin
All of my friends all gather round
They can say that he's just laying there sleeping, good Lord
Sweet peace (Lord sweet peace) his soul is found



Let the Lower Lights be Burning

Brightly beams our Father's mercy from His lighthouse evermore,
But to us He gives the keeping of the lights along the shore.
Let the lower lights be burning! Send a gleam across the wave!
For to us He gives the keeping of the lights along the shore.

Dark the night of sin has settled, loud the angry billows roar;
Eager eyes are watching, longing, for the lights, along the shore.
Let the lower lights be burning! Send a gleam across the wave!
Eager eyes are watching, longing, for the lights, along the shore.

Trim your feeble lamp, my brother, some poor sailor tempest tossed,
Trying now to make the harbor, in the darkness may be lost.
Let the lower lights be burning! Send a gleam across the wave!
Trying now to make the harbor, some poor sailor may be lost.



If we never meet again this side of Heaven

Soon we'll come to the end of life's journey
And perhaps we'll never meet anymore
Till we gather in heaven's bright city
Far away on that beautiful shore

If we never meet again this side of heaven
As we struggle through this world and its strife
There's another meeting place somewhere in Heaven
By the river of life

Where the charming roses bloom, forever
And where separation come no more
If we never meet again this side of heaven
I will meet you on that beautiful shore

Oh so often we are parted with sorrow
And action often quietens our pain
But we never shall sorrow in heaven
God be with you till we meet again

If ya would be so obliged, take a moment to list a favorite or two of yours.

No comments: