Friday, May 04, 2007

ATF


Well... we've covered firearms I suppose... I'm not in the mood to machine a trigger tonight... so instead I decided to curl up with some Pinot Grigio and some nachos.

This has me thinking.... so to speak.

How many serious wine drinkers do we have around here? JAC loves a good box of wine.. but fleas all things wine snob... SB clearly qualifies... Res? Well lets talk wine a little...

I've covered my most notable pet peeve... the idea that screw on caps = cheap wine... but there is another... inexpensive wine = bad wine. A titan in the manufacturing industry was questioned about the price of his company's newest product... he responded... "This is what an intelligent company should be able to charge for this product. 'you get what you pay for' is out-dated thinking."

Out-dated thinking.

While I sit sipping this 5 dollar per bottle wine... I find myself more sympathetic to his point. The nose is pure melon... the taste is citrus... maybe some apple and melon in there. Its less dry than most Grigios... and slightly tart... just enough to let the taste linger a bit.

I've had several 20 and 30 dollar bottles that aren't this enjoyable. Which brings me to my pet-peeve... high price = good wine.

Its simplistic thinking... and its circular as hell. If you pay 100 bucks for a bottle of wine... it must be damned good wine... and if you don't like it... you're just ignorant. Something is wrong with you if you don't like it.... not the wine. It grates on me.

I've had some very expensive wines that would've made excellent vinegar... and tonight I'm drinking a grocery store hero that's very very good.

So... do you want a wine that tastes good? Or do you want to impress your friends with a label?


Beringer Pinot Grigio. Its well below the wine snob... but perfect for folks who actually like wine... and at 5 bucks a bottle... its tough to complain. Its a perfect everyday wine. Its perfect for those guests who absolutely refuse anything but white wine. Honestly... I can't think of a reason not to have some on hand at all times. In fact... I do.

And what of the tobacco front?

I fear I have grave news... I thought I'd found a good tobacco shop here in town... only to find the cigars I purchased were dried out beyond all hope. Of course... I smoked the CAO's anyway. Tragedy friends...

Enough...

I hope all is well with you and yours.

No comments: