Friday, October 01, 2010

ATF: Edition 37

Ok... I know what you're thinkin'... there have been a lot more than 36 of these posts.... and you're right.

I turned 37 today.

Now for some reason or another birthdays have always been days that I spend taken stock of things. Where am I? Am I who am want to be?

Oh I know... most men have their mid-life crisis in their 40s... but I don't afford myself that indulgence. A mid-life crisis is something that happens when a man wakes up and realizes he didn't spend his life the way he wanted... or should have. Its the product of unpreparedness. Its what happens when a man has neglected his responsibility to deliberately choose his path.

I can look around and take account of things... and know that this is the path I chose.

So tonight... I'll smoke a cigar my brother gave me a long while back... a Kentucky Gentleman.... hand rolled by an old man that lives up the road from Lexington. I'll sip a little 46... Its a life most everyone would love to have... so I will appreciate it.

I live with my family. I raise, and teach, my kids. I haven't had a job in almost 10 years.

I have no idea where this road I am on leads... but I know I chose the road... even if I am thankful to He who lead me to choose it.


I won't be around to comment much... but I would appreciate it if you'd drink with me tonight. Light a cigar. Sip some fine bourbon. Consider it a favor to an old man.

No comments: