Saturday, August 14, 2004

Stay at home Dad Advice

OK... There are a few things in this world that I can honestly say I know about. I know women. I know motorcycles. I know firearms. I know drums. I know God, and dammit, I know about being a stay at home Dad.

So... to all you guys out there who are having a hard time... this is for you. The best way to handle this is to list some common problems guys have with this, and offer my responses and advice on them.

1) I'm the male. I'm the provider: Get over yourself dude. Your wife makes more money than you. So what? Making money is not the measure of a man. Grow the hell up. You're still the head of the house. I suggest you realize that there are other ways to provide. For example:
A) Your kids aren't in daycare. What would it cost you per month, to get the kind of quality care you give for them? We're talking about 35 to 40 thousand dollars a year here dude.
B) Change your own damned oil. I'm not just talking about changing oil here mind you. Whenever you do something like this to save money, that you normally woudn't have time to do, you are providing for your family. And lets not forget that you'll do a better job than the grease monkeys down at jiffy-lube anyway.
C) Hunt, and grow a garden. You know they called a stay-at-home dad in 1850? A Farmer. You're puttin' meat and vegetables on the table. If that ain't providing, I don't know what is.

2) I can't handle all this: Niether can I. That's why we hired a maid. You're not the mommy. You're still the daddy. That relationship doesn't change. Forget that bullshit Mr Mom crap. We don't multi-task like women do. Focus on your strengths, and don't try to be what you aren't. Wait till nap time, and then try to get something done. I always unload, and load the dishwasher in the morning while Jeb is eatin' breakfast, then I try to do some laundry during naptime. Dude. You get some laundry done, the dishes done, and the kid is fed and happy... you will have one very happy, and very impressed wife. That's no shit. You don't even have to do the laundry every day. Twice a week man. This aint that hard.

3) I just cannot handle these fricken kids: You clearly have no understanding of what an honor it is to be a father, and what a compliment the good Lord has paid to you by making you one. Please pay me a visit so I can kick your ingrate ass. Or better yet, give your wife my number. The Harem is always accepting applications.

4) What will the guys think?: You know what they'll think? Monday morning they're thinking "God I don't want to get up and go to work." while you are thinking, "ZZZZZZ" cause you're still in the bed! It's not you're fault that they were to stupid to figure this out for themselves. Most guys never realize that being a stay-at-home Dad is an option. When they tease you, remember that most of them are pretty miserable. They hate their jobs, and they don't make nearly enough money, considering the time they put in, and the torments they suffer. You can still work. You can go out tomarrow and get a job you hate just as much as they hate thiers. You choose not to. You love your kid to much to put them in daycare. That's hardly something to be ashamed of.

Above remember this; you're still the daddy, and she's still the mommy.

Oh, and when she gets home from work, try hard, and I mean hard, to make sure that she has a few minutes of protected, un-interupted "kids" time. You have no idea how important that is to workin' moms.

No comments: