Monday, November 29, 2004

Movie Review: Dawn of the Dead

I have a confession to make. For the most part, Zombie movies don't do it for me. Zombies just ain't creepy to me. Not even really fast ones with green eyes.

I never thought I'd be writing this... but well... 28 Days Later creeped me out more than DotD did.

That's not to say that I didn't like DotD. It was great fun. But it wasn't even the slightest bit scary, or even creepy. I felt like I wasn't involved in it. The movie just never sucked me in. I sat there on the couch... and tried my damnedest not to MST3K it.

This whole super virus thing just don't do it for me. It makes no sense. You've got zombies running around like Carl Lewis on Crack... but they are missing limbs... and for some reason, they ain't bleeding.

Oh wait... The Virus is keeping them alive. They don't need blood. Ok... fine, then why does a gunshot to the head matter? I'm not trying to nitpick a Zombie movie here, but if you take the "Supernatural" out of it, and make it a "virus" then you can't play the magic card when I ask why they don't bleed to death. And why don't the Zombies eat each other? That was one of the coolest things about 28 Days Later.

On sheer fun, this movie is great. You've got every architypical character you can think of, all crammed into one movie, and you end up hating all of them.

28 Days Later is way more creepy, because it tried to be creepy, and not just splatter blood everywhere. Dotd is more fun, because slattering blood everywhere is what we came for.

I went into this movie with sky high expectations, and well... I was disappointed. It was fun, but it wasn't the least bit scary.

The Army of Darkness is fun too. Its not a horror movie though. As far as horror movies go, I'll take 28 Days Later. Flame away.

By the way... One of you called this original. I can only conclude that you have a profoundly limited library from which to draw comparison. This was about as original as the last episode of Seinfeld.


No comments: