Thursday, May 20, 2004

First Dates...

Spacebunny wonders what I plan on letting my daughters date...

First let me state that I am not going to have blanket rules for my kids. I will have a system that rewards responsibility. The more responsible the kid is, the more freedom he or she will earn. It sounds odd to read that I'm sure. Perhaps it's easier if I give an example...

Girl A has always done well in school, never lies, is always home when she says she's gonna be home, and always calls to let us know if there is some problem and she may be late...

Girl B says she's going to place X, but frequently goes to place Y instead without calling to check in and tell us. She is sometimes late for no reason and no call. She hangs out with friends we distrust.

Girl A will get to date far younger than Girl B will. As of today, the plan is, girl A would be allowed to date when she's a sophomore in HS... or 15 or 16 years old. Girl B may never get to date.

The girls would be allowed to go out with coed groups of friends before this obviously.

The general rule of thumb will be... Tell us where your going, whom you are going with, who is going to be there, and when you will be back... then do what you say you are going to do... and if plans change, give us a quick call to let us know what's up.

If the kids live by these rules... they will be able to pretty much do as they please.

No comments: