Saturday, July 03, 2004

Dr Who Kicks Ass II

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade this weekend, but while your out there by the grill, try to remember that everyone didn't get the weekend off. Between 7:00am this morning, and next friday at noon, Julie will put in about 101 hours. That's 3 thirty-hour shifts, and 1 11-hour shift.

It's true... she could've had it a little easier. She could've left the surgical intensive care unit in the hands of a wet-behind-the-ears intern in their first ICU rotation, just out of medical school. After all, that's what they did to her. That ain't Julie's style though. She made out the schedule so the kids didn't take call at all their first week in the Unit.

The medical world lives by the rule, "I got screwed when I was starting out, so now that I'm callin' the shots, I'm gonna screw you."

Thankfully my wife ain't that way.

No comments: