Ok guys... when you walk out of the house... there are some things that you always take with you. What does that gear look like? Have you ever made a list of those things that you really like to have and have you ever thought about that?
EDC. Every. Day. Carry.
If you had seen me out and about on some random day in 2014... what would I have had on my person at that time?
- Wallet: We all carry wallets. Mine is a little more awesome than yours.. because it says Bad Mother Fucker on it.
- Comms: Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I never go anywhere without this thing. I need to do a whole write up on it because it is that cool. Don't get me wrong... there are things that the Z10 was much better at...but I simply cannot over state the value of the S-Pen.
- Watch: In 2014 it would've been a seiko chronograph but its been thoroughly replaced now with a Samsung Gear 2 Neo. Love the Gear 2. slick touch screen... you can actually answer calls through it... and its battery lasts for days.
- multitool: Leatherman MUT. Yes... its bigger and heavier than most folks prefer but I love the thing. another all-time favorite is the Leatherman Wave. I carry it a lot too. and toward the end of the year I found myself carrying an old school swiss army knife... I think its the tinkerer model. No... its not what the cool kids carry and it has not even a hint of tacticool to it... but it is handy as hell. And that counts a lot.
- Sunglasses: I always have a pair of sunglasses. Always. I have trouble keeping up with them so I am loathe to spend a ton of money on them though. So I get the nice stuff for DrWho and I tend to pick up whatever I can find in a pinch that's cheap. Usually I head straight to the fishing department of a sporting goods store and grab the first pair I can find. I don't care about color or anything like that. I wear these things for protection not style... and since they always do double duty as shooting glasses they be the blade style lenses.
- knife: in 2014 it was definitely the SOG Aegis. It went everywhere with me. This Christmas though a Spyderco Delica4 showed up... and I have to admit I have the koolaid poured and am ready to drink. we'll see. I love the Aegis... but the Spyderco is finding its way into my pocket more and more.
- CCW: Steyr M40A1. Yes... more often than not its still the Steyr on my hip. Someday my springfield V10 1911 may replace it... but for now I haven't found a holster for it that I am happy with. Until I do... the Steyr is just to comfortable. Also there is an extra mag... always have an extra mag.
So that's what I carried last year... what could change for this year?
Wallet: As much as I love the BMF wallet its just not working for me. Its to big. So its probably gonna be moved to a vice cabinet display piece. I am looking at Maxpedition's CMC... and the SpecOps T.H.E wallets. I like the SpecOps because there is no velcro. I hate velcro wallets.
Multitool: I started carrying the swiss army knife just on a lark.. but I really like it. So now I am probably going to put more thought into exactly which model would work best for me. So I may keep it or I may replace it with a different model. We'll see.
Sunglasses: I need to suck it up and put more into these. I wear them all the time and use them for all kinds of activities. I am open to suggestions here. I have been looking at the 5.11 glasses.
Things I am thinking about adding:
- EDC flashlight: I use the flashlight on my phone all the time.... multiple times per day. it was fast and easy with the z10 but its a lot more of a pain on the Note 4... so I need to really look at one. Suggestions are welcome here. The Thrunight Ti3 is appealing because it uses AAA batteries. Not a must but something I would prefer.
- Cotton Bandana: Honeslty there are a thousand things you can use a bandana for... I used to wear one on my wrist every second of the day and I am not gonna lie.. I miss having it. That said... an 40+ year old man doesn't wear a bandana on is wrist. Still... nothing says I can't stick on in my pocket. Its not like they take up any room.
- Pen. I need some kind of pen. Writing on your phone is nice... but sometimes its about more than just taking a note or leaving a message. Can't write a check on my phone.
So that's where I am right now on my EDC gear. I should say... there are a few things I carry all the time that I have left off this list... because... well... we all have our secrets. But this is a good list as far as it goes.
How about you?