Monday, February 11, 2013

The Makers Mark Contraversy

By now you all know that Makers has announced its effectively watering down its bourbon to meet demand. Now granted... its certainly not watering it down much... but never the less... the No Compromise Distillery certainly appears to have compromised.

I though I would share Bill Samuel's explanation.  The following came from an email sent from Rob Samuels. Rob's personal response may be shared here at some later point.... it may not.  no promises.

Anyway.... here's Bill's message:


Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding our recent announcement. We always appreciate open and honest conversation about Maker’s Mark, and we’ve gotten plenty of feedback, both supportive and otherwise. In order to respond to everybody quickly, please allow me to offer several thoughts that might answer most of the questions we’re hearing.

 And by the way, I asked Rob if I could write this response since many people have wondered if I’m on board with the decision to lower the alcohol-by-volume (ABV) level. I am, and here’s why.

 First, it’s important to understand that our primary focus now and for the past 50 years hasn’t changed. It’s product quality and consistency, batch-to-batch, year-to-year, with the primary measure of that consistency being the unique Maker’s Mark taste profile. That’s all that truly matters in the end.

Since we’re a one-brand company that’s never purchased bourbon from other distillers when supplies are short, forecasting is very difficult. Over the years, our one variable that helps us avoid market shortages has been the age of the whisky in the Maker’s bottle. That range is between five years nine months and seven years. Because Maker’s Mark is aged to taste, Dad never put a specific age statement on the bottle. It wasn’t the age that mattered; it was the taste, the quality and the consistency.

 Some people are asking why we didn’t just raise the price if demand is an issue. We don’t want to price Maker’s Mark out of reach. Dad’s intention when he created this brand was to make good-tasting bourbon accessible and to bring more fans into the fold, not to make it exclusive. And, with regard to the price, the value of Maker’s Mark isn’t set by alcohol volume.  It’s about the quality of the recipe and ingredients that go into it, all the handcrafting that goes into the production and how it tastes.

 Some of you have questioned how we reduce the alcohol content.  The fact is, other than barrel-strength bourbons, all bourbons are cut with water to achieve the desired proof for bottling.  This is a natural step in the bourbon-making process.  Maker’s Mark has always been made this way and will continue to be made this way.

As we looked at potential solutions to address the shortage, we agreed again that the most important thing was whether it tastes the same. The distillery made up different batches that Rob and I tested every evening over the course of a month. Every batch at 42% ABV had the same taste profile that we’ve always had. Then, we validated our own tastings with structured consumer research and the Tasting Panel at the distillery, who all agreed: there’s no difference in the taste.

 For those of you who have questioned if the supply problem is real, I can assure you that it is. While not every part of the country has seen shortages yet, many have, and the demand is continuing to grow at a pace we’ve never before experienced. While we are investing today to expand capacity for the future, by producing 42% ABV Maker’s Mark we’ll be able to better meet our ongoing supply issues without compromising the taste.

 Ultimately, all I can ask is that you reserve judgment until you actually taste the whisky, like I did. If you can make it down to the distillery, we’re doing tastings every day with the 42% ABV whisky to give you a first-hand opportunity to try it for yourself. If you can’t make it to the distillery, please give it a try when it gets to your city. And please write me back at that point. I want to hear what you think.

 In the meantime, I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to write. It shows that you care about Maker’s Mark, and that’s what we’ve been striving for over the past 50 years. I hope you’ll give us the chance to continue earning that devotion and allow us to prove that we didn’t screw up your whisky. All the best.

Sincerely,
  
Bill Samuels
Chairman Emeritus,
Ambassador-at-Large

UPDATE:  Just spoke to WhiskeyGirl who happens to be playing snow bunny out in Wyoming.  She reports there is no Makers Mark to be found out there... the stores can't keep it on the shelves.  The shortage is real folks.

35 comments:

Josh said...

Okay, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt...but I still ain't happy.

Nate said...

I'm not either. I'm going up to get a bottle out of my barrel later this year... I'll try the 42 then.

Nate said...

sorry about the ugly formatting... fixed.

raggededge said...

I guess it's fair to ask that we reserve judgement until we taste it, but this still reeks of corporatism to me. The fact is, they are raising the price, it's just hidden.

Lulabelle said...

I agree with raggededge. How much more production will they get by adding 3% water. I think I remember the article saying 3%.

Lulabelle said...

Maybe they're watering it down to offset the rise in corn prices that occured last summer.

Kentucky Packrat said...

I blame the environmentalists.

Depriving Americans of their corn whiskey isn't nearly the same as starving poor people across the world, but it's happening for the very same reason.

Corn ethanol.

We should be stopping the corn ethanol subsidies NOW, and let the market correct to appropriate levels.

Nate said...

umm... ya'll... Makes is made with wheat.

Lulabelle said...

Egads. First the Pope, and now I'm schooling Nate on Maker's Mark. Truly the end is nigh:
"Maker's Mark is unusual in that no rye is used as part of the mash. Instead red winter wheat is used, along with corn (the predominant grain) and malted barley". (Wiki)

Nate said...

ya know..

some days I am a complete dumbass. like you can make bourbon without corn...

/slaps self upside the head


we apologize.

Lulabelle said...

lol. I'm pretty sure that is the only time in my life that I'll be the one to catch you out on something. And it is Monday, after all.

Josh said...

LawdyLawdy

Vidad said...

During times like these, I'm glad I'm predominantly a gin drinker. Beefeater!

This could really be a public relations nightmare for MM, especially with all the other good bourbons that have been hitting the market. I tried it first on Nate's recommendation some years back and found it excellent. Now it make end up on the shelf with Jack and Jim... a middle of the road consumer brand.

Jack, Jim and Mark. Sad.

raggededge said...

@Lulabelle:

You add about 7% more water to dilute alcohol from 45% to 42%.

thimscool said...

The best whiskey ain't made from corn anyway...

Allabaster said...

Hmmm, I'll probably pick up a few bottles of the good old stuff, just in case.

Lulabelle said...

Thanks for doing the math, raggededge. I took the London Daily Mail at it's word for the 3%.

Susan said...

FYI Lulabelle, on the subjects of A, T, & F, I learned to never ever consult with any other source than Nate. Always check with him first. If he doesn't know, he will be the first to admit it. That is why he can be reasonably trusted.




Susan said...

Nate, when you say you have your own barrel, what exactly does that mean? Did you make a wholesale buy and then just warehouse it with Maker's Mark? Just curious. You are probably their best salesman.

Nate said...

Susan... you keep this up and I am going to take you on a second wife.

Nate said...

as for the question... well... I mean literally there is a barrel of Makers Mark in the warehouse right now that has my name on a badge on it.

For tax purposes they require it to be put into bottles before its sold... but I can go to the distillery and buy from that barrel.

Nate said...

Jack Daniels will actually sell you a whole barrel. they put it into bottles for you... and they include the barrel it came out of in the purchase.

Lulabelle said...

Thanks Susan.
I sort of already knew that since I've been reading Vox for 7+ years; then wandered over here in the past 5 or so. Just recently have emerged to comment more.
Which reminds me.......Nate.....whatever happened to Winston Webb?

Nate said...

He's still around. Doesn't comment as much. Crotchety ol' bastard.

no doubt he'll take that as the highest praise.

TransplantedTexan said...

Nate,
What's your opinion on Van Winkles for both upper and lower end wheats?

Lulabelle said...

Thanks, Nate.

Athor Pel said...

I just found out about a Texas distillery called Balcones. Ever had any of their stuff?

http://www.balconesdistilling.com/


one other thing,
A few weeks ago I decided to school my palate on wine. I was advised to start with Moscato. Got any recommendations for a next step?


Lulabelle said...

Athor Pel:
Moscato? That grape is the kool-aid of wines.......very sweet - at least to my palate.
I guess from here you go to Reisling. The whites will be sweeter than the red varietals (except for red mixes "table wines" or "sweet wines"). So, run through the whites first....after Reisling, go for Chardonnay........I'll vote for Kenwood Jackson chardonnay......I've found it to be most consistent in taste across years. After the whites, start with the reds.

Josh said...

Moscato?

If you're a man...never...

Nate said...

I certainly wouldn't have started with moscato.

Get a nice rare steak... and try it with a stout red. something like Jacobs Creek.

Athor Pel said...

FYI

I was raised in a dry county, and the home I was raised in was also dry.


I had too many relatives end up destroying their lives with booze for my Father to feel any comfort having alcohol in the house. So the only alcohol in the house on even a semi-regular basis was used in cooking, usually rum in desserts.

I was 21 before I began trying out various things at the liquor store and even then only infrequently.

Therefore to me dry wines taste vile, no matter the quality as determined by oenophiles.

I do like tequila though, good tequila.

Susan said...

Lulabelle,

Agree with all your suggestions about the wine. Turning Leaf makes a good Reisling also.

Another wine I like is Merlot. Not too dry or sweet. Goes down nicely. Also, White Merlot is good. It is merlot mixed with a white wine blend. It has more flavor to it than white zin does.

I don't know where you live AP, but if you can get wine by Bogle vineyards or Ravenswood vineyards, those are decent wines for the price.

Nate said...

Columbia Winery Reisling


Give it a go.

Anonymous said...

Susan, the white merlot is a good suggestion. And so was Bogle. I'm sorry, but in my mind instead of saying "Turning Leaf"......I say "Turning Stomach". I feel the same about Clois Du Bois. Ugh. Maybe I just got a bad year (those 4 or 5 times I tried it). Lately, I've been somewhat obsessed with a red sweet wine (California) called Arrow Creek. Very good for a cheap wine.

Lulabelle said...

Eh, crappity. That is me. ^^