Friday, March 27, 2009

Citified Stupid

Apparently more and more cities are adopting daytime curfew laws that single out teens. I can't imagine that anyone would ever submit to a curfew. Allowing some moron politician to tell me when I can or can't leave my own house?

How you city folks tolerate that crap...I'll never understand.

So anyway... just so I'm clear... if I was homeschooling in Dallas... I couldn't let my kids ride their bikes around during the day. They would be arrested... and I would be fined. Brilliant.

I also get a kick out of the statistics used to justify the new law. So because half of the kids arrested for burglary were "picked up during daytime hours" that means a curfew will help. Umm... what difference does that make?

Notice it does not say the crimes were committed during the day... only that more than half of the kids that were actually picked up were picked up during the day. Wow. Do you think that's because they simply went to the schools and got the kids there? or talked to people at the school and found out where to find them? I'll got out on a limb here and say that the majority of all arrests take place in the daylight hours.

But see it doesn't matter what the stats are. Most folks can't understand them, and don't care anyway. They'll make a knee jerk emotional reaction to the story and formulate an opinion based solely on that.

No comments: