Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Tone of Debate

Lately I've found myself in a few debates on the topic of Babykilling. In the interest of communication I'll point out that other folks call it abortion. I call it Babykilling. Some folks call them abortionists. I call them Babykillers. Some folks call themselves Pro-Choice. I call them Pro-Babykilling. Other folks call themselves Pro-Life. I call myself Anti-Babykilling.

Why?

Because terms are important.

Would you cordially discuss race with someone who continually referred to his god given right to hang black folks from trees and refused to use any words to describe them but nigger or coon?

How would you feel about that person? Would you reach out to him? Try to convince him he's wrong? When he disagreed with you... would you walk him out to the tree and comfort him while he hung another black fella?

Would you hold the Nazi's hand while he pushed the jew into the oven?

Of course you wouldn't. Its ridiculous. Its insane.

Well dear reader, the next time you find yourself refering to a fetus... I ask you to stop and think. You're not using the word fetus because its scientificly correct. Just like the racist isn't using the word nigger because of its geographical descriptive capability. In each case, the word is used to dehumanize a living human being.

Killing a baby is repugnant... but... why not abort a fetus?

Yesterday a supposed "pro-Life" volunteer told me of how she councils women who're about to kill their baby... she loves them... she listens to them... then if they decide to commit murder... she facillitates it by driving them down to the slaughterhouse and holding their hands while the butcher does his thing.

That's not love. Its evil. Its not acceptence. Its hypocracy. Its discusting and vile.

There is no way you could truely believe that a human life was being brutally ended, and sit there and comfort the woman responsible... while she was doing it.

Pro-life Volunteer- Oh Mrs Yates... please don't kill your kids.

Mrs Yates- I'm so tired! And they just keep wanting more and more! What about ME! What about I want? I'm doing it.

Pro-life Volunteer- But its going to be so hard... and you might regret it someday.

Mrs Yates- I have to do what I can to make myself happy. My happiness is paramount. blah blah blah me me me blah blah me me me me me me me. I'm doing it.

Pro-life Volunteer- Ok then.. I tried. I still love you and Jesus loves you too... now let me help you round up these kids then we'll run the water together. I'll be right there with you the whole time you poor thing.

Is that how you think it should go? Or should it maybe go like this:

Anti-baby killing Volunteer- I'm not going to let you kill your children.

Mrs Yates- I'm so tired! And they just keep wanting more and more! What about ME! What about I want? I'm doing it.

Anti-baby killing Volunteer- Get a nanny. Give them up to someone to adopt. Hell... give them to me. But if you lay one hand on them...

Mrs Yates (while holding baby over full bathtub)- I have to do what I can to make myself happy. My happiness is paramount. blah blah blah me me me blah blah me me me me me me me. I'm doing it.

***BANG***

911- This is 911 what is your emergency?

Anti-baby killing Volunteer- I think I'm going to need to you to send someone down to this address.

911- Who should I send? what's going on?

Anti-baby killing Volunteer- this psycho was trying to drown her own kids in the bathtub and I shot her.

911- Good for you.

Isn't that better?

So... let me be clear... If you can tolerate someone using dehumanizing terms like fetus better than nigger... the most likely explaination is that you either just haven't thought about it at all, or you don't really think we're talking about living humans just like us.

If you really believe we're talking about murder then lets face it... you can't play nice. Its not possible. You wouldn't play nice with some neo-nazi defending his right to burn jews. You'd recoil in discust... or punch him in the face. You wouldn't wring your hands and shuffle your feet and fret over hurting his feelings.

Its time to change the tone. Its time to decide if we're talking about living humans or not.

Where is the righteous anger? Its time to call a babykiller a babykiller.

No comments: