Saturday, January 20, 2007

The 16th Street Church Bombing

On September 15th, 1963 in Birmingham Alabama... the 16th Street Church was rocked by a bomb.

4 black girls were killed in the blast.

The explosion became the focal point of the civil rights movement.. and much has been written about it.

There is one story that I don't think has been told though... though maybe its just interesting to me.

These days forensic science is the big fad. Using science to solve murder cases is so hip and trendy... all the girls... even Britney Spears say they want to do it. I suppose the funniest thing about that is that people thing this is new.

See... explosive residue was found on a Bible from that church... and it was taken to an ATF lab... where a little greek fella poured over it. He was able to learn everything about it. He was even able to determine where it was purchased. Now remember... this isn't a drama on TV. This is real life. This happened... way back in the stone age of 1963.

The evidence that little greek fella came up with finally ended up putting the guity away... though the prosecutors certainly took their sweet time.

Oh... and that little greek man?

That was my grandfather.

On the one hand I'm proud of the old coot.... on the other I'm discusted as I can be that I had blood kin that was once one of the biggest dogs in the ATF.

No comments: