Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Concealed Carry

Most of y'all know that DrWho and I both have licenses to carry concealed weapons. We do so at practically all times. That said, I get a lot of questions from folks about it, and most seem to consern the how cops, and folks in general, react to it.

Let's start with the cops. I have yet to have a cop react negatively towards me when I was carrying. My general hypothosis on the matter goes like this: cops hate people who don't respect authority. By jumping through the hoops required to get a ccw license, you have demonstrated that you do respect authority. Therefore, the cop doesn't expect to have any trouble with you.

When I get pulled over for speeding or something, I just hand the cop both licenses at the same time. In general he looks at them, hands my CCL back to me and gives me a knowing nod. I've heard the occastional, "If you don't show me yours, I won't show you mine." I have yet to get a lecture from a cop since getting the license. In fact, I've yet to have a cop show me anything but the upmost respect now that I think about it... Well.. you know what they say... An Armed society is a Polite Society.

As for business owners... people on the street and that sort of thing... I've never had anyone say anything to me about it. I'm pretty careful to make sure I'm not printing or exposing the gun to prying eyes, but at the same time, I'm only a buck fifty... and I carry a full-size service pistol. The thing shows up if your lookin'.

It's been my experience that people don't pay enough attention to strangers to tell if you're carrying or not. You could probably walk around with a gun on your hip for all to see, and 90% would miss it. The problem with that is... if you see 10 people, one of them will notice, and the one who notices is always the one who freaks out and calls the cops.

Keep 'em hid. You don't even have to keep 'em well hid. You won't have any trouble, and it will improve the attitude of what cops you meet considerably.

No comments: