Monday, October 18, 2004

A Country Divided

Some folks seem to believe that this is indeed a United country. I want to post something that should give you pause. Read these words, and feel the hatred that resonates within them. 20 years after the War for Southern Independence, such feelings were still widespread.

We're a poor economy and a liberal congress away from seeing these feelings show themselves again.

Well... One can hope.

I'm A Good Old Rebel

Oh, I'm a good old Rebel
Now that's just what I am
For this fair land of freedom
I do not care a damn.
I'm glad I fit against it
I only wish we'd won.
And I don't want no pardon
For anything I've done.

I hate the Constitution
This great Republic too
I hate the Freedmen's Buro
In uniforms of blue.
I hate the nasty eagle
With all his brag and fuss
But the lyin', thievin' Yankees
I hate 'em wuss and wuss.

I hate the Yankee nation
And everything they do;
I hate the Declaration
of Independence, too.
I hate the glorious Union,
'Tis dripping with our blood;
I hate the striped banner,
I fit it all I could.

I followed Old Marse Robert
For four years near about,
Got wounded in three places,
And starved on Point Lookout.
I caught the rheumatism
a camping in the snow,
But if I killed a chance of Yankees,
I'd like to kill some more.

Three hundred thousand Yankees
Lies still in Southern dust
We got three hundred thousand
Before they conquered us
They died of Southern fever
And Southern steel and shot
I wish it was three million
Instead of what we got.


I can't take up my musket
And fight' em now no mo'
But I ain't a-goin'to love' em
Now that is certain sho'
And I don't want no pardon
For what I was and am
And I won't be reconstructed
And I don't give a damn.

No comments: